Friday, November 18, 2016

Ariana

We love Ariana, our deaf mentor.  We feel really blessed that this program exists in Utah.  Ariana is deaf and comes to our house once a week for an hour and teaches us ASL and about deaf culture.  We started about a year ago, and it is a three year program.  I am starting to feel more comfortable making conversation in ASL.  My vocabulary is still not adequate, but I understand about 75% of what Ariana tells me, and can usually guess the rest from context.  What I am terrible at is fingerspelling.  I can get the letters, but then I cannot translate it into words.  Seriously, I have to say the letters outloud, and then sometimes I can get it.  It's a painful process, but Ariana is nice and patient.

She also is nice and brings us crafts and activities sometimes.  She brought the supplies to make these cute Thanksgiving turkeys.

No comments: