Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Birthday Lunch Brouhaha

Ellie woke up this morning not feeling very well, so I kept her home from school.  After our normal morning routine, we loaded up in the van to go pick up Grandma to take her out for a birthday lunch.  She was coming back from an appointment, and I thought we beat her to her house, so I pulled in the driveway, and turned off the van to wait.  But I left the movie playing for the girls.

The van has a "safety" feature where the battery will shut down  if a door is left open to long.  Or the movie is left on too long.  After about 10 minutes of waiting, my mom found us (she had actually in the house the whole time -- watching for us out the front window, but I pulled in the driveway trying to make it easier for when she drove home).  She hopped in the van, and I went to start it, but it wouldn't start.

I immediately knew I had killed it.

Mom backed her car out of the garage so I could jump the van.  We tried her cables, and my cables, and putting the cables on and off multiple times, but I couldn't get it to work.

So I called Greg.

Luckily, he had just gotten in the truck with everyone from his office, and they were headed out to lunch.  He offered to drive up and rescue us.

While we waited, the girls played with the wiggle cars and on the swing set, and Grandma and I picked tomatoes.

When the cavalry pulled up, Tammy immediately grabbed Cece, Uncle David fixed my cables, and in two seconds Uncle Todd had the van started.  It was like a miracle.  We chatted for a minute and then we all headed out.  The original plan had been to go pick up Bobi and eat lunch by her house, but with our delay, she drove down to us and we ate at the Cafe Rio in Draper.

I don't have a picture of any of that, but I wanted to write out the story.  The picture I did take was that afternoon when we were walking to Activity Days at Sister Gardner's house.  It was perfect weather, and Cece just wanted to run.  No sitting in the stroller for her!

No comments: