Sunday, August 31, 2014

Elder Spencer #2. And Gooey Butter.

Clayton is the 2nd Spencer grandchild to serve a mission.  He spoke in Sacrament Meeting and we were happy to go and listen.  Greg came and it was exciting to sit next to him on the bench.  He lasted about 10 minutes before standing up with Cece in the back.

That night we went to Todd and Rachel's for a potluck.  I was reminded after Cece's blessing (when my mom brought Gooey Butter to our event) that I haven't brought Gooey Butter to a Spencer potluck in years.

The original recipe uses a yellow cake mix in the bottom layer.  Kiera and Ellie went to the storage room to get ingredients for me, and discovered I didn't have a yellow cake mix.  I googled how to make your own and we were in business.

Gooey Butter has been my favorite dessert since I can remember.  I request it in lieu of birthday cake for my birthday.  It is pretty much perfection, and I didn't think the recipe could be improved on.  

But making my own bottom layer made it even better!

It was lighter, flakier, and just plain tasted awesome.  And it is less processed.  I'm converted!  It went fast at the party, and Daniel even scraped out all of the crumbs.

My updated version of 
Gooey Butter


2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar

Mix dry ingredients together and add 1 egg, 1 tsp of vanilla, and 2 sticks of softened butter.  Press in bottom of 9x13 pan.

Cream together 1 package of softened cream cheese, 2 eggs, and 1 tsp of vanilla.  Gradually add 3-4 cups of powdered sugar, until the mixture has some substance but is still runny.  Pour on top of cake mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees for 30-45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and set.

No comments: