Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Quiet Moment

I headed in to the U today for the annual part-time instructor's luncheon, and realized I haven't set foot in my office since the beginning of last December.  It was semi-surreal to be at the luncheon with my friends Beth, Carrie, and Alisa.  We have all been teaching there part-time for years, and we all started as young (young-ish, in my case), married women.  Now Beth is pregnant with baby #3, Alisa has 2 girls, and Carrie has a son.  I remember when Carrie and Beth started the baby revolution being ecstatic for them but thinking my day would never come.  What a difference 3 years makes!  I am so glad that I have had the job I had, and that now I can teach one class a semester completely online (which takes only a couple of hours a week) and focus on Ellie and Lynlee.

I am grateful beyond words to be a mother, and now it is rare to have a quiet moment completely by myself.  As I was driving back and forth I took advantage of the empty car, and found myself thinking a lot about faith.  Do I have enough?  How do I teach faith to the girls?  Will they grow up with a testimony of Jesus Christ and His restored church? 

While thinking about all of this, I was listening to a wonderful album called The Lower Lights.  I had a moment on the way home while listening to The Lord Is My Shepherd.  The Spirit whispered to me, "Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief" (Mark 9:24).  I still worry that I have enough faith, but I feel peace now.  It will all work out.

3 comments:

HappyCamper said...

Oh Heather, how special you are. Thanks for sharing these wonderful, deep, reflective thoughts that truly show your deep faith and humility. It is truly a tender mercy that you are part of my life!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for sharing that. You are great! I know you can do it!! I worry about the same things too; so maybe we can help each other :)

Beth said...

What a wonderful message! I too was ruminating on the major changes for the four of us over the past few years and about how wonderful these changes have been! As wonderful as the changes are they can bring some challenges and I am so grateful to have the Lord to guide us through them!